Minister of Education, Prof G.L. Peiris published the relevant notification by virtue of the powers vested in him by section 21 of Universities Act, No. 16 of 1978.
Thereby, the order made under the said Act to establish the Vavuniya Campus of the University of Jaffna will be revoked effective from the 31st of July, the gazette read further.
The new state university is being established for the purpose of providing, promoting and developing higher education in the branches of learning of Business Studies, Applied Science and Technology Studies.
The education minister said it will develop courses linked to a wide range of related disciplines with the aim of providing students with a well-grounded education with potential to develop specialization in chosen disciplines. Further, the university will place greater emphasis on educating students on creating value within the local resource base, he added.
University of Vavuniya is expected to comprise of the following faculties and departments of study:
• Department of Finance and Accountancy
• Department of English Language Teaching
• Department of Project Management
• Department of Human Resource Management
• Department of Marketing Management
• Department of Business Economics
• Department of Management and Entrepreneurship
• Department of Physical Science
• Department of Bio Science
• Department of Information and Communication Technology